Accents rejected by lintGitMailMap regex

Hi!

What happens?

I just entered the program and started configuring everything to start solving challenges. I entered my Git username and email in .mailmap and ran /lintGitMailMap. The problem is that I like to put my name, “César”, with an accent. The test failed since, in my machine, the regular expression rejected the accent specifically.

What do you understand or find about that problem

Is strange. I don’t know Ruby-style regex very well, but it seems like the regex that checks every line in .mailmap should accept my name. Here is the specific case:

• The regex that rejects the accent:

^[A-Z][[:alpha:]]+ [A-Z][[:alpha:]]+ <.*> (.*?) <.*?>$

• The rejected string:

César Pedraza <cpedraza@unal.edu.co> César Pedraza <cpedraza@unal.edu.co>

• This string is accepted:

Cesar Pedraza <cpedraza@unal.edu.co> Cesar Pedraza <cpedraza@unal.edu.co>

Did you try any workaround? What did you do?

I can easily avoid this situation. As I stated before, Removing the accent solves the problem. I can also use my second name, “Danilo”. But it doesn’t solve the root problem! Specially when there are names with accents already in .mailmap.

Evidences

• From the Ruby regex docs I understand that [[:alpha]] should accept the accent.

• In this site the string is accepted by the regex.

• Here is a screenshot of the message I get:

I need help with

I have two questions:

• Why is this happening? I imagine there is something in my system (Debian 11) that I can change to make this work. I looked for answers, but didn’t find much.

• Will the error appear when I submit a MR?

Hi,

We do not currently accept accents in the mail map so you can just avoid doing this thing.

Regards,